As of today, the local board of Education is going to start calling every parent of school-aged children to find out what their intention is.
There are a few options here in my city of Toronto:
Children in elementary school (K – grade 8) have the option to return to class full time (5 days a week), or opt out and home-school with online instruction.
Children in high school will have a hybrid system where they are to report to reduced class sizes every other day.
All students are required to wear masks or face coverings for the duration of their indoor stay at school, unless the child is in grade 3 or under where it is optional. It’s up to the parents to decide along with their young child how to navigate that.
I suspect the teachers will be in full PPE, and although I don’t envy them at all for having to wear all that gear, I especially feel for the younger children’s teachers, especially Kindergarten teachers.
It is going to be an extremely challenging time, I think…
For me, not much changes. I am usually ready by early September to get the family out of the house again for a few hours each day, but we’ve been shut in here since March and we’re used to it now. I miss my solitude sometimes, but we have adapted. I mean, it’s not like there’s much choice.
But I remain unconvinced that school will be anything other than a stressful experience no matter what the option people choose to embark on. School isn’t just about sitting at a desk receiving instruction, it’s about socializing at recess, having gym, eating lunch with friends outside of your classroom or grade, participating in sports or clubs…
Not this year. There won’t be art club or cross country practices, sports teams or excursions. I’m not sure how this is going to work long-term.
Simultaneously I am not convinced a vaccine will necessarily solve all the problems, either. Anything viral has the tendency to mutate. Isn’t this the main reason we still don’t have a vaccine for Influenza?
So. I’m sitting here waiting for the phone to ring. What will I tell the board when they call? That my younger kid may choose to go to school but opt out later?
It seems a futile decision to make now since I suspect as soon as the colder weather arrives, and scores of kids get sick with regular colds and flus, the covid numbers will increase and everything will be shut down again.
I don’t have any answers. All I can do is wait, and see.
Story of my life.
BTW apparently the Beagle bitch whom they (daughter and her dad) have paid a deposit toward for a puppy didn’t get pregnant at all. There was much disappointment from the girl child who was spearheading this whole puppy thing. She read books and watched training videos and she was sooo excited about dog ownership…especially going into fall and winter.
But then…a message came through that there is another litter, and there are two males available for adoption later this month.
help me 😲
So there you have it. I am once again tethered to the house, probably forever until the day I die.