Do you write resolutions for the New Year? Or do you have a bucket list?
I don’t have either. I don’t typically set goals or plan things beyond the immediate short-term requirements.
But I’ve been thinking about it.
Must be the midlife crisis thing I’m going through. Either that or I’m old and tired and wondering what it is I really want to do with the rest of my life.
Certainly not laundry. 😭
So. Today, while doing laundry, and cooking soup, and not writing my book, I was thinking about this whole resolution/bucket list thing.
What do I want to do, accomplish, see, achieve, work toward?
Well I have some wishes that will probably not be fulfilled. Some of those wishes are private and not meant for the internet to pick apart, but others, I don’t mind sharing those.
Unattainable Bucket List
I have always wanted to visit places that are no longer considered tourist attractions, like Syria, and especially the city of Damascus. I love the food from that part of the world, not to mention the rich history, art and architecture that is likely mostly lost or destroyed now. Parts of Morocco appeals to me as well. I’m so very curious about these places.
Another thing that has always held some mystique and intrigue is a nude beach. Ha. (Surprise!) I am unsure if this will happen, although it could have at one point. Back before kids, we went to St. Martin/St. Maarten for a mini-vacation, and they have a nude beach on the French side that we drove past and briefly contemplated checking out. (We didn’t.) I wonder though if it’s something that’s actually enjoyable – beaches have sand, and women’s bodies have, you know, crevices everywhere… (lordy). Anyway. THAT will probably not happen either. Maybe instead, I’ll just go skinny dipping in a pool one day. 😉
Attainable Bucket List:
- visit Switzerland and introduce the kids to the family there (done 2019)
- visit Rome and meet up with my aunt there (been once when I was a child and not since)
- visit Sicily with or without the family (if I’m really honest here, I’d love to go there for a month or two, sit in a Villa (like my cabin I wrote about) and write. Bonus, my dad’s side of the family comes from there although I do not believe anyone we know still lives there…)
- eat olives in Sicily
- squeeze fresh lemon from lemon trees in Sicily onto Sicilian food cooked by a local villager (not some fancy chef)
- go back to Boston (I have been twice in the 90s)
- go back to New York (I have been once, in the mid 90s) but at Christmas time
- visit at least one place in the Deep South of the USA (New Orleans? Sarasota?)
- take the kids to Vancouver to visit my siblings (I have been a few times, they haven’t)
- visit Canada’s Maritimes
- take the kids to Paris (I went a few times as a flight attendant, in the 90s)
- visit the Louvre (I have been to the Louvre once in the 90s, but I would love to take the kids there, especially my daughter who has a keen interest in art)
- go back to Brighton (London) and show the kids where I spent my summers during my stint as a flight attendant
- get published in a variety of places
- complete the Memoir
- complete the Music Lovers anthology
- work toward obtaining or building a She Shed (or let’s move out of this house and get me one with a home office)
- play with hair extensions (I’m just curious what it would feel like to have longer hair)
- get a tattoo (without fighting the family which is wishful thinking)
- read War and Peace (just to say I did it)
- expand my boots collection (I own exactly 3 pairs)
In theory, some of those items could be achieved in the next decade or less. Especially the writing part of it – I could target 2020 to be the year of publishing. Do my part even if it doesn’t come to fruition. I mean, a rejection letter is tangible proof that I worked toward it, right? Did my part, just haven’t found the right venue.
Anyway, I will give it some more thought. My private list is quite lengthy, so I got some work to do. 🙂
Tell me, do you keep such lists? Do they work? What is on your list? And do you have any tips or insights to share with the rest of us?